Vacancies: Teaching Artists of Wind Instruments
Instruments: Flute, Clarinet, Oboe, Saxophone, Trumpet, Trombone, French Horn, Euphonium
Location: Larnaca Nucleo
Employment type: Hourly pay
Sistema Cyprus is a social-music project inspired by the El Sistema in Venezuela. It aims to provide all children and young people with free music education through orchestras and choirs. It also aims to promote respect and recognition of vulnerable population groups from the society. Sistema Cyprus operates in the area of Faneromeni in Nicosia, in the area of Faneromeni in Larnaca, and in three shelters of unaccompanied refugee minors in Nicosia and Larnaca (in collaboration with Hope for Children CRC Policy Center) providing more than 200 children and young people with free instruments and lessons.
The role of the Teaching Artists:
Sistema Cyprus is looking for passionate teachers of various wind instruments (Flute, Clarinet, Oboe, Saxophone, Trumpet, Trombone, French Horn and Euphonium) to join the Larnaca Nucleo and mark the beginning of the wind ensemble of the Sistema Cyprus Symphony Orchestra. The Teaching Artists will have to teach a small group of young students but they may also be needed to lead woodwind or brass sectionals. We are looking for individuals who can match our ambition with experience, drive and commitment, and can play a significant role in developing holistic and transformational changes for our communities involved.
- Teaching group lessons to young students
- Comprehend and follow the mission of social inclusion and takes the necessary actions for the group to work as a community, no matter their background and level of musical knowledge.
- Support the full wind ensemble and sectionals when necessary
- Plan and implement curriculum in collaboration with the Artistic Director, as for example what musical aspects should be taught each semester and how the students should be prepared in each of the musical pieces of the selected repertoire.
- Provide a detailed lesson planning, taking into consideration and respecting the timeframes and logistics provided by the Programme Coordinator.
- Plan efficient lessons that include technique study, repertoire study, music theory, rehearsal and performance etiquette.
- Attend all team meetings.
- Attend all Sistema Cyprus’s performances of Larnaca Nucleo, as well as conferences, courses, masterclasses, and events proposed by the Executive Director.
- Continually researching emerging pedagogical practice that is beneficial for the development of the programme.
- Degree in Music OR Music Performance in Flute, Clarinet, Saxophone, Trumpet, Trombone, French Horn, Euphonium
- Extensive experience and knowledge of music education
- Professional standard of instrumental playing
- Understanding of the benefits that a social programme such as Sistema Cyprus has
Additional desirable experience:
- Master’s degree in Music OR Music Performance in Flute, Clarinet, Saxophone, Trumpet, Trombone, French Horn, Euphonium
- Experience in El Sistema methodology
- Professional performing
- Extensive experience working with children in a music education and / or community music context
- Working within a challenging and high-pressure environment
- Interest in using the arts as a tool for social development
- Interest and ability to be a motivational mentor and role model for students and parents
- Experience in working with children and young people with emotional and behavioural challenges
Selection Process: In order to reach the best possible partners, Sistema Cyprus has a 2-round process designed:
A. Preliminary Round
- Motivation Letter
- Audiovisual material with a sample of candidate’s work in teaching and/or performing
*Please send the material at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: 19 June 2020
Selected applicants will be interviewed by a selection panel.
Successful applicants will be informed by 22nd of June of their interview date and time.