Artistic Director and Conductor Vacancy
Call for: Artistic Director and Conductor
Length of the contract: 8 months
Days of work: For Full-time or Part-time employment
Salary: Up to €10,000 per annum for Full-time (annum equals 8 months)
Starting date: 15 October 2019
Sistema Cyprus is a social-music project inspired by the El Sistema in Venezuela. It aims to provide all children and young people with free music education through orchestras and choirs. It also aims to promote respect and recognition of vulnerable population groups from the society. By teaching those children music, they are not only inspired to strive for a better future, but they are also provided a platform for dialogue and togetherness across diverse communities.
Sistema Cyprus operates in the area of Faneromeni in Nicosia, in the “Home of Hope” (Hope for Children CRC Policy Centre) and in the area of Faneromeni in Larnaca, providing more than 100 children and young people with free instruments and lessons.
The role of the Artistic Director and Conductor:
Sistema Cyprus is looking for an inspirational individual to lead and be an ambassador of our musical and educational vision. The person responsible for this role will gain a distinguished reputation as a performer and educational leader and will be required to oversee the highest standards of delivery across all nucleos. We are looking for someone who can match our ambition with experience, drive and commitment, that can play a significant role in developing holistic and transformational changes for our communities involved. We are looking for a passionate individual that will hold a leadership role within the organization; inspiring our team of musicians, connecting with partners as well as develop new relationships to support Sistema Cyprus’s long-term goals.
- Conducts the Orchestra, or its ensembles, at rehearsals and performances.
- Comprehends and follows the mission of social inclusion and takes the necessary actions for the orchestra to work as a community, no matter their background and level of musical knowledge.
- Develops the students’ orchestral performance skills, including, for instance, the ability to learn parts independently, listening skills, ensemble training, to play accurately and musically in rehearsal and performances, among others.
- Provides a detailed rehearsal planning one month before the beginning of each session, taking into consideration and respecting the timeframes and logistics provided by the Executive Director and the limitations of the space.
- Prepares and conducts, (after a meeting with the Executive Director), a musical meeting one month prior to the beginning of each Session, in order to discuss with the instrumental teachers what musical aspects (such as articulations, bowings, dynamics, tempo, character, among others) should be taught and how the students should be prepared in each of the musical pieces of the repertoire previously selected.
- Works collaboratively and supports guest conductors, or invited artists that would be involved in masterclasses or special performances in previous agreement with Sistema Cyprus, providing the students with different experiences on techniques and styles in order to develop their holistic understanding of orchestral functioning and to foster their adaptation skills.
- Proposes strategic revisions in order to meet the new or changing musical needs of the students, taking into consideration the aspects observed during sectionals, and rehearsals.
- Leads the curriculum development planning and delivery together with the other Sistema Cyprus members.
- Setting curriculum rationale, outcomes and skill development plans.
- Assures a smooth and fair selection process for any additional students that might join Sistema Cyprus Orchestra.
- Proposes enrichment opportunities for the orchestra and ensembles, including, but not limited to, event-specific concerts, tours, festivals, collaborations.
- In the event of pedagogical issues presented by students, the modus operandi should be defined in collaboration with Sistema Cyprus’s Executive Director, Principal Conductor and the respective sectional leader.
- Attends all Sistema Cyprus’s orchestra performances (even in the event of not conducting), as well as conferences, courses, masterclasses, and events proposed by the Executive Director.
- In collaboration with the instrumental teachers, organizes the requests for special equipment/instruments based on the repertoire selection.
- Attends team meetings and engages in long-range, strategic planning.
- In case of any planned absence for professional engagements, educational activities or such, the Sistema Cyprus’s Artistic Director is to inform the Executive Director before the start of each Session or beforehand.
- Continually researching emerging pedagogical practice that is beneficial for the development of the programme, by also being in constant relations with other El Sistema inspired programmes worldwide.
- Working in collaboration and taking suggestions of other Artistic Directors of Sistema Worldwide, the instrumental teachers to inspire and challenge players while ensuring the highest possible level of performance, and musical development.
- The selection should aim towards the constructive growth and understanding of the young musicians in regards of their varied background (inclusion of international repertoire, local composers, and so forth).
- The repertoire should engage all students in the orchestra taking into consideration instrument distribution and level.
- The repertoire selection should also allow for extra time during the rehearsal for educational activities that promote technical improvement and social integration.
- Degree in Orchestral Conducting OR Performance in violin, viola, violoncello or double bass
- Extensive experience and knowledge of music education
- Experience of conducting children’s and youth orchestras including different pedagogies, methodologies, teaching styles and models
- Professional standard of instrumental playing and a good knowledge of all orchestral instruments
- Sound knowledge of beginner and intermediate level teaching techniques on a variety of instruments
- Understanding of the benefits that a social programme such as Sistema Cyprus has
- Understanding of orchestral arranging
Additional desirable experience:
- Master’s degree in Orchestral Conducting OR in performance in violin, viola, violoncello or double bass
- Experience in El Sistema methodology
- Professional performing
- Extensive experience working with children in a music education and / or community music context
- Working within a challenging and high-pressure environment
- Interest in using the arts as a tool for social development
- Experience in working with children and young people with emotional and behavioural problems
- Experience in project management
Selection Process: In order to reach the best possible partner, Sistema Cyprus has a 2-round process designed:
A. Preliminary Round
- Motivation Letter
- Audiovisual material with a sample of candidate’s work in conducting, teaching, or performing
*Please send the material at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: 11 September 2019
Selected applicants will be interviewed by a selection panel.
Successful applicants will be informed by 16 September 2019 of their interview date and time.